» Bank Profile » Environmental & Social Sustainability Report
Environmental & Social Sustainability Report
'People, Planet, Profit'
Environmental and social sustainability mission statement
ACLEDA Bank is committed to achieving strong, sustainable financial returns while respecting the environment and community within which we live. We subscribe to the concept of triple bottom line ('people, planet, profit') reporting and are constantly developing indicators for measuring and reporting on our performance and impacts on the society and the environment and to implement a reporting structure based on the guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative.
The key elements of ACLEDA Bank's ESS mission are:
- To provide a framework of guidelines within which ACLEDA Bank can operate in a sustainable manner so that our impact on the environment, society and the community in which we operate is managed in a responsible way.
- To continue to introduce energy efficient systems into our buildings and to manage sensibly our energy usage wherever we operate.
- To honor the society in which we live and actively work to promote an inclusive culture, embracing not just shareholders and staff, customers, and business partners but respect for the individual within our community.
- To recognize that supporting the community is not just morally sound but good business as well - our 'good health' and prosperity are naturally interdependent.
ACLEDA Bank fully subscribes to international conventions which prohibit the provision of credit to, or otherwise support any activities which might harm the environment, be morally repugnant or jeopardize human rights. In particular the bank has in place policies which forbid involvement with exploitative forms of forced or child labor, trade in weapons and munitions, gambling, casinos, brothels, regulated wildlife or wildlife products and production or trade in radioactive materials or significant volumes of hazardous chemicals.
Environmental Performance Indicators
In order to establish baselines for the measurement of our efforts to reduce our environmental impact, we have introduced a tracking system for resource usage. The results are given under their respective headings below and will be used to benchmark our future performance.
In 2015, paper usage decreased by 11.63% per co-worker compared to 2014 due to saving and reducing paper usage by printing with double-sided documents. We also strengthened the use of electronic data storage and the sending of information by E-mail and by internet. Waste paper increased by 11.66% due to an increase in the use of training materials for new recruits. Additionally, expired, old or no longer in use documents were shredded and recycled.
|Paper in kg/Full Time Equivalent (FTE)||13.91||15.74||59.14||35.10||32.05|
|Waste paper kg/FTE||3.16||2.83||2.73||1.99||1.82|
Electricity consumption per co-worker increased by 1.58% in 2015 because of increased use of technology, the upgrading of working conditions at many branches and the number of new offices connected to the electricity grid (as opposed to relying on generators). Gasoline consumption increased by 21.78%, diesel increased by 9.82% and lubricant consumption decreased 13.40% per co-worker compared to 2015 because of the distance between branches and the expansion of our operational territory.
Moreover, the overall growth of the Bank inevitably led to an increase in CO2 emissions in absolute terms.
|Electricity in kWh/FTE||1,575.11||1,496.86||2,116.18||2,520.50||2,418.52|
|Gasoline in l/FTE||64.85||53.25||83.69||150.70||103.75|
|Diesel in l/FTE||40.38||36.77||43.53||130.65||127.69|
|Lubricant in l/FTE||0.97||1.12||1.75||3.50||2.17|
Water consumption increased by 17.70% in 2015 compared to 2014 because the Bank’s cars and motorcycles are mostly cleaned at the office instead of taken to a car wash.
|Water in m3/FTE||25.99||22.08||30.58||30.20||28.07|
In 2015, the total distance traveled by car increased by 19.89% and by motorcycle increased by 37.94%. Car travel increased due to the need to survey existing and new branches. Motorcycle travel increased due to the need by credit officers to manage loans in urban and provincial areas.
|By vehicle in km/FTE||806.03||672.32||393.82||1,699.40||1,633.95|
|By motorcycle in km/FTE||2,882.33||2,089.48||3,326.45||2,965.90||2,217.23|
ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd.'s corporate culture is built on respect for the society in which we operate and an inclusive approach to our stakeholders embracing not just shareholders and staff, customers and business partners but the community at large. In addition to the environmental programs mentioned above the bank observes a policy of equality in all our dealings with the public in general and customers and staff alike. Above all, ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd. has practiced from the very beginning 'zero tolerance' of corruption both internally and externally and transgressions are dealt with summarily.
The following are key principles in ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd.'s Corporate Social Responsibility policy:
- ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd. is an 'equal opportunity' employer. Apart from those jobs which involve a higher physical risk (e.g. guards and messengers) appointment to all positions at every level is based entirely on merit regardless of gender or physical disability.
- ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd. aims to be the most progressive employer in Laos providing medical, pension and other benefits. It provides comprehensive training both for new recruits as well as experienced staff.
- A high level committee under the chairmanship of the Chairman of the Board has been specifically tasked with the responsibility of setting and monitoring the Bank's moral and ethical standards and respect for human rights.
- In consultation with its staff the Bank has drawn up social policies covering i) Code of Conduct, ii) Human Resources Management, iii) Health & Safety, iv) External Relations, v) Freedom of Association and the Right to Collective Bargaining. These are now published on Lotus Notes so that every member of the staff has free (and paperless) access to the most up-to-date versions.
|Number of staff||1,174||1,064||822||590||454|
|Number of staff (FTE)||1,068||932||728||544||408|
|Training and Education|
|Training — career development and refresher programs||2,468||1,426||208||166||330|
|Training of new recruits — induction program||12||12||10||10||11|
|Open internship opportunity for both local and international students to complete their research paper as well as thesis||19||6||4||5||2|
ACLEDA Bank Lao Ltd. recognises that playing our part as good citizens in the community in which we abide is vital to our mutual interests and prosperity. Major initiatives we are taking include:
- Developing and offering appropriate products and services carefully selected and developed for the particular needs of Lao society.
- Expanding outreach: opening up banking services to new communities in new locations by expanding our network in the provinces and extending banking services to mobilise savings. The roll-out of ATMs has enabled our customers to access their funds 24 hours a day/7 days a week.